Farmers to be rewarded for small scale green schemes
Environment Agency Wales and Farming Connect, the Welsh Assembly Government's support service for farmers, have joined forces to recognise and reward farmers who make small scale changes to their farms in order to both improve profits and benefit the local environment in a new award scheme launched today (1 April).
The two organisations are launching a unique Simple Solutions Farm Award and are calling from farmers across Wales to put forward their schemes.
The winner will receive professional advice (to the value of £1,000) from a Farming Connect approved consultant along with £1,250 from Environment Agency Wales to carry out further environmental improvements on the farm. A runner up will receive a £750 grant for works on their farm.
Examples of the schemes that could apply for the Simple Solutions farming award are:
• Improvements to cattle tracks that reduce lameness and reduce run off
• Covering slurry stores that increase slurry storage and improve nutrient content
• Creating a reed bed system to clean up grey water from yards and reduce run off
• Roofing of yards to keep rain off and reduce the amount of dirty water to deal with
• Collecting rainwater to use as drinking water for stock
Entries need to be received by the 25 June 2010 and the winners will be announced in the Royal Welsh Agriculture Show.
For full details and application form, please contact
or phone Michelle Duggan on 02920 466 029.