Providing information on organic food and farming in Wales
Organic FoodOrganic food comes from farms that aim to produce high quality food in an environmentally friendly way to promote the health and well-being of soil, plants, animals, people and the countryside.
What is organic food?
• The use of the term organic, when applied to food, has a legal meaning. It means the food has been grown and processed according to certain rules.
• The same legal rules apply in the UK and across the European Union.
• These rules of organic farming and processing are known as Standards.
• These Standards cover every stage of organic food production, from farm to shop.
So how do I know if it's organic?
• Make sure that the word 'organic' is on the label.
• check out the logo - the logos shown below appear on products licensed by the certification authorities in the UK, but imported products may carry diferent logos.
• The word 'organic' and the certification logo mean the farm and processor have been inspected every year to ensure they comply with the Standards.
• What are the organic food standards?
• Price and quality
• The wider context
Next:> What are organic standards?
Organic Centre Wales, IBERS, Gogerddan Campus
Aberystwyth University, Ceredigion, SY23 3EB
T:01970 622248 E: email@example.com